Ensuring structural performance
Defence applications demand high structural performance under extreme environments to ensure that the airframe, hull, vehicle, weapon, antenna, engine, or missile can perform without endangering valuable lives and equipment. Even just everyday use can present high static and dynamic loads which the equipment must withstand.
Although load cases can be simulated through virtual modelling, these models must be validated through testing of prototypes where design teams can acquire the feedback needed to validate their assumptions and calibrate their structural models. To this end, Brüel & Kjær provides an integrated Structural Test Suite that includes sensors, data acquisition, state-of-art test, measurement, modelling, post-processing and calibration. At the centre of this suite are the modal testing solutions.
Modal testing is used to characterise the dynamic properties of structures, by determining the modal parameters such as resonant frequencies, damping and mode shapes. This assists in:
- Identifying and animating load, fatigue and structural characteristics
- Acoustic fatigue testing under in-flight conditions (flight testing and wind tunnel testing)
- Troubleshooting structures with excessive vibration levels
- Monitoring modal parameters to ensure structural integrity
- Design verification and updating of modal parameters calculated from simulation models
The Structural Test Suite offers complete solutions for controlled excitation tests, real-life operational tests and test-finite element analysis (FEA) integration.Related Material: