United States: Legal Counsel
One company - HBK
HBM is a leading provider of measurement technology and related services for an extensive range of measurement applications in many industries. HBM's product range covers sensors, transducers, strain gauges, amplifiers and data acquisition systems as well as software for structural durability investigations, tests and analyses.
Brüel & Kjær helps solve sound and vibration challenges and develops advanced technology for measuring and managing sound and vibration. As a specialist in this domain, the company helps customers ensure component quality, enhance product performance and monitor operational compliance.
From January 1, 2019 on Brüel & Kjær & HBM will merge their activities to become HBK. HBM and Brüel & Kjær with their more than 3,000 employees worldwide have production facilities in Denmark, Germany, the UK, the USA, China and Portugal and operations in over 80 countries worldwide. Both companies are operating companies of Spectris plc, a FTSE-250 provider of productivity-enhancing instrumentation and controls serving leading aerospace, automotive, medical, and other customers.
Both companies currently operate within the Test and Measurement segment of Spectris, the productivity-enhancing instrumentation and controls company. For further info please visit https://hbk.one/
Legal Counsel will support our business in the United States. The lawyer will work closely with HBK’s General Counsel in Germany and other in-house lawyers in Denmark and Germany. The position can be located in one of the following HBK locations; Marlborough, MA; Duluth, GA or Southfield, MI.
- Supporting the business globally in day-to-day review, drafting and negotiating of a wide range of contracts, including government contracts.
- Supporting R&D and Marketing in the capture, protection, and licensing of IP.
- Developing and maintaining our standard contracts.
- Supporting face to face and online training in legal and compliance matters.
- Supporting ongoing merger activities.
- Assist with other responsibilities as needed.
- US qualified lawyer with admission to practice in at least one state. Preference will be given to candidates either admitted in MA, GA, or MI or eligible for admission as in house counsel.
- At least 8 years’ experience in a similar in-house role or commercial law firm. In house experience is essential.
- Experience working with an international or cross-border company in Asia or Europe.
- Solid background in sale of goods, software licensing, and professional services. Good working knowledge of IP protection and licensing is critical. Candidates with significant software licensing experience are preferred.
- Some experience with Antitrust/Competition, Data Protection, Ethics and Compliance, is important. The ideal candidate will have experience with a comprehensive, values-driven approach to compliance.
- Corporate secretarial experience. Public company experience is not essential.
- Working knowledge of the FAR, DFARs, and other relevant Government contracting regulations, policies, and procedures relating to Commercial Items and Commercial Services.
- Experience with EAR, ITAR, OFAC and other trade-related aspects of international business.
- Some M&A experience is desirable.
- Strong computer skills: Excel, Word, and Power Point.
Leadership and Personal Competencies
Legal Counsel must:
- Have a practical, results-oriented approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives.
- Be able to plan, organize and prioritize multiple legal matters, business developments, and performance objectives
- Have excellent communication skills and capacity for teamwork.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently with little supervision or administrative support, but also accept direction from HBK’s General Counsel.
- Possess a true business mindset understanding the key drivers behind top and bottom line growth and how legal risk affects them.
- Have strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to turn complex legal issues into actionable solutions.
- Be able to define goals and priorities within own area of responsibility ensuring that attention is brought to business-critical projects.
- Possess operational focus and the ability to develop intimate familiarity with the details.
- Inspire trust and confidence through his/her natural authority and personal power; demonstrated ability to build rapport with employees at all levels of the company.
- Encourage a highly collaborative environment and actively engage with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Be of unimpeachable integrity and model the Company’s core values of:
- Absolute Integrity
- Customer Focus
- Restless Innovation
- High Performance
- An excellent chance to join a highly regarded legal team that is central to a dynamic, fast moving global technology business.
- An opportunity to further your career alongside some of the best and most passionate test and measurement technology experts from around the world.
- Broad responsibilities within the legal team.
- A good balance between work and family life and for constant development of professional and personal skills in an international and enjoyable working environment.
Start Date: Early 2019
Location: Marlborough, MA or Duluth, GA or Southfield, MI
Status: Full time, temporary role for 12 to 16 months. This role will be benefit eligible
Travel Requirement: frequent travel to HBK sites, occasional international
Work Status: As a government contract HBM is unable to offer sponsorship for any of our role at this time
Freedom with responsibility is the framework for HBK's employees. This allows for a good balance between work and family life and for constant development of professional and personal skills in an international and enjoyable working environment.
HBK is an Equal Opportunity Employer – We encourage all qualified persons to apply, including women, minorities, protected veterans and disabled individuals. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories established by law.