The Reverb Experiment: Facts and Figures
- The Inchindown bombproof fuel oil tank was built over 80 years ago for the Royal Navy
- The oil tank measures twice the length of a football pitch
- The total reverberation time is 112 seconds
- The world record reverberation time is 75 seconds*
- The previous world record for a man-made structure was 15 seconds, which was also held by a structure in Scotland – the Hamilton Mausoleum in South Lanarkshire.
*According to the International Standards Organization (ISO), the definition of reverberation time is the time that a sound takes to decay until it is 60 dB below the level of the initial impulse sound.
Listen to Trevor Cox playing his saxophone with the world's longest echo:
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive the latest stories from our world of sound and vibration
The latest news from Brüel & Kjær delivered to your inbox
New product releases, discounts and special offers
Sound and vibration articles, videos and guides