Time to call the Project Sales Office
Vehicle manufacturers, OEMs - and the Systems Integrators who support them - all know that vibration testing is time-efficient. In practice, the entire product life of an EV battery can be condensed into 90 hours of testing over an elapsed project time of one week. That makes vibration testing one of the quickest, most cost-effective ways to transition new innovations in EV battery technology from “R&D cost” to “validated, revenue-earning product”.
The role of the Project Sales Office at HBK is to address technical issues, so that Turnkey projects achieve Go-Live swiftly and smoothly, and provide customers with faster time-to-market.
Battery Vibration Testing
Turnkey solutions for vibration testing of EV batteries typically comprise a number of elements. First, there’s the shaker platform equipment: comprising the shaker itself, with head expander for vertical operation and slip table for horizontal operation; an amplifier; and the vibration controller system to manage and control experiments. Then there’s the data collection and analysis system: comprising the sensors and cables, data acquisition hardware and software, plus data analysis and presentation software. And the service package: comprising both the activities needed to get up and running (FAT, installation, CAT, user training) and those need to maintain efficiency and maximise the return on investment (scheduled servicing and planned maintenance).
Customer-specific applications such as proprietary in-house test procedures or special performance requirements may necessitate custom alterations to elements such as head expanders or slip tables. These requests are handled by the HBK Project Sales Office, which has years of experience working on large turnkey projects and integrating HBK shaker solutions with third-party systems.
In the field of EV battery testing, for example, integration between shaker platform and climatic chambers are a common requirement. These chambers not only simulate environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, they also function as the “containment device” that ensures safe management of thermal runaway events via methods like mist spraying or flooding. In this regard, both HBK and the Project Sales Office can look back on many years of effective collaboration with leading climatic chamber manufacturers across the globe.
Other examples of the integration between the shaker platform and existing in-house systems abound. Electricity supply; alignment with winch and lifting systems; compatibility with factory safety systems; connection to corporate data collection and analysis systems; networks and computer security standards. Whenever issues arise that impact the deliverability of a turnkey project, the Project Sales Office will bring their knowledge and experience to bear, and can provide effective guidance for the HBK customer.
Typical Milestones for Customised Shaker Projects
- At the customer’s request, HBK Sales refer non-standard specifications to the Project Sales Office.
- After running a viability check, the Project Sales Office begins work on the project:
- HBK applications engineers examine the technical requirements
- The Project Sales Office examines past project history
- Requirements and past insights are matched at the project kick-off meeting.
- For complex projects, the customer may attend to clarify needs.
- HBK Project Sales Office develops concepts and prepares tender documents
- Technical drawings + quotation + project plan + gantt charts.
- The customer places the order.
- HBK Project Sales Office implements the project.
- The customer approves the Factory Acceptance Test on site in Royston.
- HBK ships the project to the customer site and installs it.
- The customer approves the Customer Acceptance Test.
- HBK Academy undertakes customer staff training.
- Go-Live at the Customer site.
- HBK provides ongoing ad-hoc support.
- HBK implements scheduled servicing and planned maintenance.